Sunday, December 15, 2019

Scholar Stones

 If you've ever wondered how the Scholar Stones are made here is a rough visual on that.
As you can see the steel sets the shape in this first stage.

 The steel is covered with galvanized lathing shaping it further. That part on the bottom I removed  once I new it would sit on the pine platform; see below . The last stage is concrete built up in layers over the lathing. The platforms are made of white pine from trees that fell in our most resent tornado.
Here it is in company with another scholar stone on it's pine platform. I showed these as a group of five or six with more platforms to sit on. The viewing angle gave people the feeling of being another scholar rock . Sitting at the same height as the sculpture is not something I've ever done myself. It was a changed experience for me and those who chose to sit too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome